Digital Imaging and Phenotyping Expert - (18027449)
Syngenta Group is one of the world’s leading agriculture innovation companies, with roots going back more than 250 years. Its 48,000 people across more than 100 countries strive to transform agriculture through breakthrough products and technologies that play a vital role in enabling the food chain to feed the world safely, sustainably and with respect for our planet. Swiss headquartered and Chinese-owned, the Group draws strength from its four business units – Syngenta Crop Protection headquartered in Switzerland, Syngenta Seeds headquartered in the United States, ADAMA headquartered in Israel, and Syngenta Group China – that provide industry-leading ways to serve customers everywhere.
Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. We invite you to help us shape the future of agriculture. At Syngenta, we believe every employee has a role to play in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet.
Digital Imaging and Phenotyping Expert – 18027449
The research biology digital imaging and automation team in Stein AG is looking for an outstanding imaging scientist with a background in plant digital phenotyping. You will work in cross disciplinary teams across the business to build new imaging platforms supporting our research pipeline. You will actively participate in the design, development and implementation of imaging solutions across a variety of different biological systems in both lab and glasshouse environments. You will use your in-depth knowledge of machine learning algorithms to solve challenging imaging problems and establish image analysis pipelines and platforms that provide increased insight from biological assays that drive innovation. You will serve as the key expert and point of contact for digital phenotyping projects, providing scientific and technical input to ensure delivery of best in class solutions.
The primary responsibilities of the Digital Imaging and Phenotyping Expertare to:
- Provide technical contributions in a fast-paced team environment to accelerate our efforts in digital phenotyping.
- Develop robust image acquisition and analysis platforms across multiple product lines and assay systems.
- Utilize expertise in sensor technology and digital phenotyping techniques to help select suitable sensors, sensing platforms, acquisition methods and processing pipelines which draw meaningful insights from both lab and glasshouse experiments.
- Take ownership of the implementation of digital phenotyping projects at all stages from implementation to deployment and operation.
- Apply the latest approaches to develop image analysis algorithms, support integration of cutting-edge workflows and applications for capturing, processing and analyzing image data.
- Collaborate with colleagues in Data Science, IT and biology to deliver digital phenotyping projects on time, in quality and within budget.
- Disseminate knowledge within the organization to facilitate upskilling and development of colleagues.
What are we looking for:
- PhD in computer vision/remote sensing/computer science or related topic with a minimum of three years’ experience applying digital phenotyping approaches to plants.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with computer vision, statistical data analysis, image analysis and digital phenotyping using imageJ, Java, C++ and Python, coupled with excellent data visualization and presentation skills.
- Knowledge and practical experience in machine learning, ideally with the implementation of Deep Learning CNNs to solve imaging challenges of image classification, instance and semantic segmentation.
- Experience with multiple sensor types - including RGB, multispectral, hyperspectral, and LiDAR amongst others – and experience constructing end to end image analysis workflows.
- A visionary mind-set combined with a focus on implementation and execution & strong ability to solve problems and to structure and simplify complex tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute in an international and dynamic research and development team.
- Desire to continue personal development to stay at the cutting edge of digital phenotyping and computer vision technologies.
- Fluency in English, both verbal and written.
What we offer:
We offer a variety of financial and non-financial benefits including:
- Annual bonuses.
- A competitive pension fund plan.
- Preferential conditions with insurance companies.
- Family-friendly initiatives.
- Exclusive reduction offers for employees.
- We offer a position which contributes to valuable and impactful work in a stimulating and international environment #bringingplantpotentialtolife.
Interested? Welook forward to receiving your online application including all relevant documents (cover letter, CV, diploma, certificates) – reference number 18027449.
Please be aware that the job title may differ from the position title.
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status
: CHE-Stein-Stein AG
: R&D - Research