European Patent Attorney - (18037314)
Syngenta Group is one of the world’s leading agriculture innovation companies, with roots going back more than 250 years. Its 48,000 people across more than 100 countries strive to transform agriculture through breakthrough products and technologies that play a vital role in enabling the food chain to feed the world safely, sustainably and with respect for our planet. Swiss headquartered and Chinese-owned, the Group draws strength from its four business units – Syngenta Crop Protection headquartered in Switzerland, Syngenta Seeds headquartered in the United States, ADAMA headquartered in Israel, and Syngenta Group China – that provide industry-leading ways to serve customers everywhere
Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. We invite you to help us shape the future of agriculture. At Syngenta, we believe every employee has a role to play in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet.
European Patent Attorney (m/f/d)
The Syngenta Legal team is currently seeking a European Patent Attorney to join our Crop Protection Patents team at our headquarters in Basel. In this role, you will be responsible for a wide range of IP-related activities supporting the commercial objectives of the Syngenta Crop Protection business, including the delivery of effective IP strategies and providing IP support for our transaction teams. You will be expected to work as a pro-active business leader in an integrated perspective with R&D, Commercial, Legal and Licensing colleagues as appropriate.
This position will involve all aspects of Crop Protection IP practice, with an emphasis on:
- Drafting, filing, prosecution and defense of patents/patent applications in the area of crop protection-related inventions.
- Promotion and delivery of the innovative use of IP as an integral part of Syngenta Crop Protection business strategies. Develop global, regional and country IP strategies for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Advise the business with respect to the freedom-to-operate matters, and in certain cases prepare formal opinions.
- Client counselling, including evaluating patent validity and infringement issues, reviewing IP-related agreements and managing an IP portfolio.
What are we looking for:
- Qualified European Patent Attorney with 5 years post-qualification experience (PQE) in the patent profession. Exceptional candidates with 2-3 years PQE will be considered. A national patent attorney qualification is considered beneficial.
- Degree or equivalent experience in chemistry, preferably with experience in dealing with biological subject matter e.g. plant biology or biologicals.
- Fluency in English, with German-language skills a benefit.
- Excellent communication, problem solving, and organizational skills with strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Self-starter mentality with ability to proactively identify issues and propose & implement solutions.
- Ability to effectively and constructively interact with various functions at all levels of the organization.
What we offer:
We offer a variety of financial and non-financial benefits including:
- A position which contributes to valuable and impactful work in a stimulating and international environment
- Flexible working arrangements and environment with an open culture and diverse workforce
- The opportunity to work with and learn from highly qualified and experienced employees
- Learning culture (Together we Grow) and wide range of training options
- A competitive pension fund plan, annual bonusses, onsite doctor, gym, canteen, and other benefits (Family friendly initiatives, Child and Family allowance…)
- Relocation Support
Interested? We look forward to receiving your online application including all relevant documents (cover letter, CV, diploma & certificates) – reference number 18037314.
Please be aware that the job title may differ from the position title.
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
: Legal - Intellectual Property