Back to Previous Page
Job ID 298363BR Position Title Global Head IP Litigation Apply to Job
500! With over 500 active IP litigations in more than 50 countries, the Global Head IP Litigation for Novartis Group has the unique opportunity to coordinate, manage, and influence important patent and trademark matters around the world. This position facilitates collaboration and best practices for our team of dedicated and experienced litigators who design and implement the IP strategies needed for Novartis innovative medicine and generic products, all for the ultimate benefit of patients and society. The Global Head IP Litigation ensures a thoughtful balance of litigation with a respect for valid IP rights so that Novartis advances as a reputational leader among pharmaceutical companies.
As our Global Head IP Litigation, you will act as a strategic partner for litigators and business leaders in the BU or Division on global IP litigation and strategy, and be accountable for delivering the highest quality litigation practices for Novartis Group. You will chair the Global IP Litigation Team, be a member of the IP Leadership Team, and be a thought leader among our patent, trademark and operational associates and support staff. In addition, you will contribute significantly to the development of cross-divisional IP operational and strategic objectives.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Oversee, coordinate, and drive the strategy for significant complex IP disputes (including patent and trademark litigations, arbitrations, and investigations) globally throughout the Novartis Group, supporting the Divisions/Units with litigation best practices and enterprise-wide viewpoints, and developing and delivering IP litigation and dispute resolution strategies (including settlement negotiations) in significant cases in line with business requirements.
• Lead the Global IP Litigation Team, comprised of division IP litigation heads, as well as the Group IP Litigation Team, comprised of colleagues handling enterprise-wide IP litigation resources and directing specific litigations as needed.
• Develop and drive the IP and regulatory litigation governance framework (including the IP and Regulatory Group Litigation Reviews), establish appropriate tools and processes, and manage law firm panel members and other IP litigation service providers.
• Advise and handle special projects for the Global Head IP and members of the IP Leadership Team, as well as senior business leaders, on IP litigation and risk exposure, including strategies for minimizing adverse consequences from such disputes.
• Coordinate the group-wide IP litigation SOX and internal reporting and public disclosures, and ensure quality and consistency of reporting.
• Improve exchange of information and know-how cross-divisionally and provide training, with the goal that in-house lawyers take a consistent and proactive approach in effectively dealing with IP disputes
What you’ll bring to the role:
• Law school graduate (Common or Civil Law), Common Law preferred. Patent attorney qualification also preferred.
• 15+ years (at least 5 years leading associates) proven litigation experience in a particular jurisdiction, with solid exposure to US and EU litigations. External litigation experience required.
• Sound knowledge of regulatory and antitrust, and good basic understanding of related disciplines such as M&A, BD&L, corporate, and tax.
• Ability to analyze complex legal issues.
• Strong verbal & written communication skills, together with a high ability to influence and negotiate. Proven ability to deal positively when working within tight time pressures and demanding clients.
• Fluency in English required; good knowledge of other main European language is an asset.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis embraces diversity, equal opportunity and inclusion. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration, and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network Division CORPORATE Business Unit GROUP LEGAL Location Switzerland Site Basel Company/Legal Entity Novartis International AG Functional Area Legal & Intellectual Property & Compliance Job Type Full Time Employment Type Regular Shift Work No
Apply to Job
Access Job Account
- Jump to Comments