Job ID 332725BR Nov 24, 2021 Switzerland
Job Description At Novartis, our Cardiovascular, Renal & Metabolism franchise is committed to developing solutions targeting, kidney diseases, heart failure, atherosclerosis, and metabolic disorders. Furthermore, through our continued investments in R&D and partnering with visionaries in digital innovation we will continue to push the boundaries in research and remain a trusted partner for scientific societies, healthcare practitioners and patients.
Maintaining kidney health is important to an individual’s overall health and general well-being. While most of us don’t need to worry about our kidneys, people living with chronic kidney disease (CKD) know just how important kidneys are and the devastation that comes from them working poorly and for some, eventually stopping altogether. CKD is also a risk factor for other diseases and a direct cause of morbidity and mortality. In fact, those living with CKD are part of a global health challenge, with death rates increasing over 40% from 1990 to 2017.
A specific group of diseases within CKD called complement-driven renal diseases (CDRDs) are rare kidney diseases that can start early, often affecting teens and young adults. Many will need life-altering and often exhausting kidney dialysis or possibly a kidney transplant within 5-10 years after diagnosis, and some may even face the risk of premature death.
Building on a 35-year commitment to kidney research, Novartis is developing treatments to give people living with CDRDs the possibility of extending a dialysis-free life
As part of Novartis, you are committed to reimagine medicine for patients with complement-driven renal diseases and be part of a remarkable team that shares the vision to transform clinical practice for patients with cardiovascular + renal disease. You will also realize your potential while interacting with an outstanding employee community, working side by side with talented individuals and collaborating with the most respected academic institutions. Some of the best leaders in the industry will inspire you. This role is waiting for you to extend dialysis-free life in patients with rare kidney diseases.
As our Global Medical Affairs (GMA) Director, Renal, you will be responsible for providing medical and scientific leadership into medical teams and other relevant line functions in the cross-functional team from pre-launch through the whole life cycle of the compound. You will support the Global Medical Head in the execution of Global Medical Affairs activities in close alignment with Value Access and Commercial Development (VACD) functions.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• Co-develop an integrated evidence plan in close collaboration with clinical development functions as well as VACD functions.
• For the assigned Medical Affairs studies (Phase IIIB-IV, PMS, observational studies without regulatory impact, implementation studies) within program/brand, provide medical scientific input and delivery when appropriate.
• Serve as a disease area scientific and medical expert for internal customers/stakeholders, e.g., Global Clinical Team, Scientific Review Committee, research, exploratory development, device development, Marketing, Novartis local medical organizations, and other line functions within GMA
• Build strong partnerships with HCS stakeholders including medical societies and patient advocacy groups, and other external customers e.g., key opinion leaders
• Build together with the Global Medical Head a highly influential medical and scientifically based platform to facilitate external medical education in rare kidney diseases.
• Provide internal medical education to medical teams in the organization
• Provide medical scientific input for the assigned program/brand(s) to co-develop with the appropriate functions an integrated Product Strategy (IPS), Medical Affairs strategy and related MA plan as well as develop the medical affairs section/evidence generation section of the clinical development plan.
• Provide guidance to Country Pharma Organizations (CPOs) related to their MA study program in line with the integrated evidence plan; review, approve and follow up on local MA studies.
*Some restrictions to flexible working models may apply and will be discussed at interview if relevant
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Minimum Requirements What you’ll bring to the role:
• PhD with unique knowledge for successful clinical program development and execution, with ≥ 3 years of clinical research experience required or MD with specialty with board certification or equivalent, with ≥ 3 years of clinical research experience required
• Medical Affairs, clinical development and/or Market access experience
• Medical and/or scientific expertise within disease area required and/or experience in rare diseases
• Experience in having launched a medication in a regional/global market
• Demonstrated ability to establish strong scientific partnership with key investigators in assigned TA, academic institutions and scientific societies
• Fluent English (Oral and Written)
• Advanced medical/scientific writing and communication skills.
• Strong track record of collaboration in a matrix environment
WHY CONSIDER NOVARTIS?
769 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.Division PHARMA Business Unit GLOBAL MEDICAL AFFAIRS Location Switzerland Site Basel Company / Legal Entity Novartis Pharma AG Alternative Location 1 USA Functional Area Research & Development Job Type Full Time Employment Type Regular Shift Work No Apply to JobAccess Job Account