To lead the strategic focus of the in-market operations of the Firm's BDMC function for the integrated Swiss offices, managing the department's office resources and developing a strategic focused, market-leading BDMC business-partnering function which enables the Swiss offices to win, retain and grow business through consistently high standards, engaging thought leadership as well as strong relationship and account management.
- To deliver the in-market strategic objectives through the effective implementation of business development and client development plans and activities in the Swiss offices, and to ensure these activities and objectives are aligned with the Swiss offices and the overall Firm strategy.
- The role is an integral part of the Firm's BDMC team, focusing on client targeting, relationship management and business development activities that strengthen the Firm's profile in our markets, business planning, monitoring progress against planned priorities, and developing its strategy for major client programming.
The role has a strong emphasis on a proactive and innovative approach to drive results at a senior level, with a particular focus on the following areas:
In-market BDMC team leadership
- Lead, develop and motivate the in-market BDMC team for the Swiss offices; ensure the team members understand their role in the new operating model and work collaboratively with colleagues in other parts of the function to deliver excellent service.
- Promote market-led and client-focused approaches to business development and marketing; ensure our thinking is grounded in client-needs and competitive context; challenge constructively when this is not the case.
- Develop the overall business development and marketing plan for the integrated Swiss offices, ensuring it is aligned to the business plans of each Practice Group regionally and globally.
- Work with BDMC leadership in EMEA to ensure that the overall BDMC function is delivering against 'the plan' for the Swiss offices, including: client development, marketing campaigns, PR and profile raising, major events and seminars, online marketing and internal communications.
- Communicate local office needs and demands to expert functions and end-to-end services and ensure we collaborate with them on final service delivery.
- Assume overall responsibility for the quality of service provided to the Swiss offices.
- Full budget management responsibility for the Switzerland BDMC unit; ensure that all BDMC initiatives are effectively coordinated to extract maximum return on investment.
Local and Firm Client Programs Strategy
- Drive the Switzerland growth strategy by developing an in-depth understanding of the client base and its industry footprint within the Switzerland Key Client (SKC) Program, the EMEA Client Program and the Firm's Industry Key Client (IKC) Program.
- Act as central point of contact for lawyers' requests regarding clients / targets of the SKC Program, the EMEA Client Program and the IKC Program in order to drive client development activities and strengthen our relationships with these clients / targets, including:
- Working closely with the relevant Client Relationship Team, create, implement and drive targeted client business development and relationship management plans designed to maintain and increase revenue; research information, gain and use market intelligence relevant to the targeted group of core clients and their businesses, identify issues likely to impact upon the clients requirements for legal services and recommend business development activities likely to capitalize on such requirements.
- Working with relevant partners, develop and maintain close relationships with individual representatives of the targeted group of core clients. Using those client interactions, identify any issues likely to be relevant from a business development perspective.
- Ensure that targeted core clients benefit from a client feedback review. Using the intelligence gained during such reviews, work to address any issues identified with service delivery and follow up on any request for further information about the Firm’s capabilities.
- Full support on complex pitches and selling opportunities, in close collaboration with the entire Swiss BDMC team and other BDMC units within the Firm, mainly focussing on targeted group of core clients in the SKC, EMEA Client and IKC Program. This might include the development of specific key messages, production of pitch documentation, development of innovative fee proposals, coaching and constructively challenging teams, dry-running proposal presentations and gathering feedback as appropriate.
General BDMC support
- Taking over other duties to develop, drive and growth the business of the integrated Swiss offices like client management, client targeting activities, client reviews and feedbacks and pricing support.
This role will require regular travel within Switzerland and occasional trips to EMEA locations for regional meetings.
Technical skills, qualifications and experience
- Significant experience (7+ years) of leadership in a marketing and/or business development role, preferably in a professional services environment.
- Master's degree or other qualifications focusing on Business Development, Marketing, Communications, Sales or related commercial subjects.
- Experience working with senior stakeholders and developing relationships with them.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, both in English and German.
- Ability to effectively manage competing priorities.
- Strong judgment and ability to make well-reasoned independent decisions.
- Strategic awareness of business and commercial issues.
- A pro-active commercial outlook, with some industry knowledge of the legal sector, is essential.
- Self-motivated and independent, able to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Comfortable working across multiple cultures and time zones in a matrix organization.
- IT, analytical and numeracy skills are prerequisites for this role.
- Project management skills, and aptitude for developing these skills.
- A highly credible individual with gravitas and high level of intellectual ability.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including pleasant nature and ability to influence others.
- High degree of attention to detail.
These personal qualities represent the shared characteristics of high performers across Baker McKenzie, regardless of job level and location.
- Keeps across key developments in all relevant areas and demonstrates the ability to develop substantive authority in relation to the Firm's specialist fields.
- Demonstrates the ability to identify the real issue, and to anticipate requirements and potential consequences; distils a range of possibilities by thinking in a considered, prudent manner.
- Able to move through a variety of tasks requiring different approaches, knowledge, and expertise, with agility of mind and capacity for analysis and synthesis.
- Driven by a strong personal sense of integrity and upholds exemplary quality standards.
- Prepares thoroughly, takes responsibility, uses initiative and is self-reliant to ensure work progresses to the fullest extent possible.
- Hardworking and diligent with a keen understanding of client demands.
- Demonstrates composure when dealing with difficult situations.
- Creates a positive impression at all times; develops relationships through collaboration and reciprocity.
- Negotiates to achieve outcomes that are mutually satisfactory; shows good judgement on when to stand strong and when to compromise.
- Invests in, nurtures and builds a network of productive relationships.
- Respectful to others, regardless of their position, and earns the respect of others by being transparent.
- Has care and concern for others and a genuine interest in others as people.
- Treats delicate or confidential issues with grace and discretion.
- Europe, Middle East and Africa