Zurich, Zurich, CH
Senior Claims and Key Case Expert (80 - 100%)
About Swiss Re
Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer, working to make the world more resilient. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of our 15,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About the Role
This is a Senior Claims and Key Case Expert position within Reinsurance and our P&C Business Management Division. This strategic position represents the highest expert role within Claims both in terms of exposure and expertise required. The position holder will be a member of the Key Case Committee and, as such, will drive the successful resolution of Swiss Re's largest and most complex cases which has a long-term material impact on Swiss Re's reputation and result. At the same time, the position holder represents Swiss Re in client engagements and in the context of industry bodies at senior level in EMEA and Asia. The position exercises thought leadership with impact in both occasions, promoting topics that are of strategic importance to Swiss Re and support the firm in originating new business.
This exciting opportunity requires a recognised property and engineering expert with strong experience in coverage topics, knowledge of industry positions on key coverage issues and broad applied experience with different resolution mechanisms. Additional experience in liability (products liability, D&O, PI and Casualty) is a strong plus. The role requires strong analytical ability, independence, and a good feel for the balance between coaching and steering.
The position holder will report into the Head of P&C Business Management EMEA, with a dotted reporting line into the Head of Key Case Management. This is a Director level role based in Zurich.
- Act as advisor on multiple Key Cases
- Active participation in Key Case Committee and Key Case Focus meetings and suggest favourable resolution strategies
- Support of Key Cases Owners, ensuring that agreed resolution strategy is executed; review strategy in case of new developments
- Ensure Key Case reserving consistency on underlying insurance and reinsurance participations across lines of business
- Contribute to raising and maintaining Swiss Re's profile as an industry leader and a knowledge company by representing the firm in industry associations and on conferences, hold external and internal presentations and write articles and papers
- Build client relationships and entertain regular interaction at senior level with a particular focus on, but not restricted to, claims counterparts; other relationships to be built up with brokers, loss adjusters, law firms and reinsurance buyers
- Contribute to P&C Business Management's Client Value Proposition by positioning and representing primary claims insurance topics that can contribute to originating business
- Support the Client Teams and Clients in legal claims and re/insurance related matters, in the development of reinsurance solutions as well as in advising on material legal developments
- Act as an inclusive motivational coach and mentor for high potentials in Claims
- Ensure knowledge transfer within the Claims organisation, in particular share lessons learned
- Develop and maintain strong feedback loop between the Business Management teams (with a particular focus on the Portfolio Management teams) and the Underwriting/Products teams, e.g. Underwriting fact books and relevant Portfolio Management projects
- Other cross-functional interaction on relevant topics with respective departments (e.g. Legal, Contracts & Wordings, Risk Management, Retro Teams, Client Markets etc.)
- Contribution and steering input to relevant expert networks
Expertise and experience
- Attorney-at-Law or equivalent legal background and ideally experience in private law practice
- Senior claims manager with a minimum of eight to ten years of experience in handling complex insurance and / or reinsurance claims, including litigation and arbitration expertise
- Property & Engineering expert (cases, publications, conference participations) with a focus on EMEA and Asia
- Expert knowledge and extended practice in the assessment of insurance and reinsurance contracts, clauses, policy terms and conditions
- Ability to identify issues in claims presented to Swiss Re on both the original and the reinsurance side as well as capability to handle them appropriately
- Full understanding of relevant industry best practices and initiatives which impact Swiss Re's bottom line result
- Strong industry network
- Very good negotiation experience and skills, paired with a successful track record of resolving complex cases
- Detailed understanding of re/insurance programmes/structures
- Fundamental understanding of finance and reserving processes as well as reserving rationale and resulting impact
- Evidence of thought leadership with impact, in particular regarding primary insurance topics with significant relevance for Swiss Re's clients
- Excellent influencing and presentation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and at least one additional European language
Personality and behaviours
- Strong leadership presence with an engaging personality who leads by example and lives and breathes the Leadership Imperatives
- Capability to
- externally defend Swiss Re's position in market meetings
- internally represent the chosen strategy/position to relevant bodies (e.g. Key Case Committee)
- Ability to establish productive client relationships and to represent Swiss Re at client's senior and executive management level
- Strategic, analytical and conceptual thinking with an entrepreneurial mind-set focused on delivering results
- Readiness to work independently and to take decisions (results-oriented, pragmatic, able to push efficient and creative solutions)
- Preparedness to go the extra mile, performs well under pressure, when facing ambiguity and ability to cope with high workload
- Natural curiosity, willingness to step out of comfort zones
- Ability to cooperate, influence and convince out of a non-line management position
- Teaming and networking skills; ability to address conflicts openly and constructively, seeking solutions; very good cultural awareness
- Flexibility, readiness to accept changes as a challenge and preparedness to accept new tasks
- Willingness to travel globally
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Reference Code: 92246
Job Segment:Underwriter, Claims, Engineer, Law, Risk Management, Insurance, Engineering, Legal, Finance