Job ID 330502BR Dec 13, 2021 Switzerland
769 million! That's how many patients' lives were touched by our products in 2020. At Novartis, we are reimagining medicine to improve and extend people's lives. We use innovative science and technology to address some of society's most challenging healthcare issues. We discover and develop breakthrough treatments and find new ways to deliver them to as many people as possible. How can we continue to advance our science to help even more patients in need? We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous, and collaborative people are empowered to ask new questions, make bolder decisions, and take smarter risks.
In Global Discovery Chemistry (GDC) at the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) in Basel, Switzerland, we are at the core of Novartis’ purpose, designing and making new molecules for treating patients. We are looking for a highly motivated, passionate researcher with a strong scientific background in chemistry or related life science disciplines, a curious mind-set, and cultural agility to invent innovative medicines and advance the frontiers of drug discovery. Join us and help reimagine medicine!
• Work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary project team to discover and develop novel therapies for unmet medical needs.
• Plan and execute chemical syntheses of novel drug molecules aided by in silico tools and facilitated by state-of-the-art synthetic methodologies and technologies (automation, miniaturization).
• Experiment in a first-class laboratory infrastructure and evaluate and deploy novel technologies to progress projects.
• Together with the project team, integrate experimental data to develop scientific hypotheses and prioritize molecules for synthesis to address key project questions.
• Support and coach other team members by sharing your know-how and experience across your work environment.
• Discuss and communicate scientific results at project/group meetings and research boards.
• Take over responsibilities to maintain highest levels of laboratory safety and infrastructure.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
What you will bring to the role:
• A Bachelors or Masters degree with a focus on synthetic organic chemistry or a related discipline.
• At least 7 years of drug discovery experience with excellent theoretical and practical knowledge in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry.
• Passion for pioneering chemistry experimentation in the laboratory.
• Ability to critically interpret results, build new experimental hypotheses, and take calculated risks and smart decisions.
• Interest in disruptive technologies and science trends, such as data science and automation/miniaturization, and their application to drug discovery.
• A mind-set of curiosity, creativity, collaboration and openness to diverse thinking, with an enthusiasm to develop yourself and others, along with having excellent oral and written communication skills.
• An organized working style, eye for detail, flexibility and commitment to high quality.
• Aptitude to work in a fast-paced team-oriented matrix environment to collaborate within a highly dynamic team, discuss science and contribute to drug discovery.
* Some restrictions on flexible working options may apply and will be discussed during interview if applicable.
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here:
769 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2020, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Division NIBR Business Unit Global Discovery Chemistry Location Switzerland Site Basel Company / Legal Entity Novartis Pharma AG Functional Area Research & Development Job Type Full Time Employment Type Regular Shift Work No Apply to JobAccess Job Account