Zurich, Zurich, CH
Software Developer in Test (80-100%)
iptiQ is a risk tech start-up within Swiss Re Group. Swiss Re is one of the world’s leading providers of reinsurance, insurance and other forms of insurance-based risk transfer. We anticipate and manage a wide variety of risks, from natural catastrophes and climate change to cybercrime.
iptiQ provides digital, bespoke and transparent L&H and P&C protection products in a B2B2C manner. Founded in 2014, we're transforming the way consumers buy insurance with a unique digital insurance engine which incorporates the latest technology with world-class underwriting capabilities. We build strong partnerships to sell insurance via trusted brands.
iptiQ offers a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About the role
As a Software Developer in Test (SDET), you’ll be part of a multi-disciplinary product team. Your team is responsible for a slice of our customer-facing platform, representing a particular business domain. You take care of shaping the quality approach within your team. Of course, tests need to be automated on all levels of the test automation pyramid, it's you who coaches the developers on your team to "build quality in" as part of the process. Everything that should be automated, is automated - driven by you, implemented by the entire team.
Together with your fellow SDET's you drive company-wide quality improvements and initiatives. You spend 20% of your time helping to set up, expand, and maintain the internal, open-source test frameworks and shared test infrastructure. You enjoy contributing improvement ideas and taking steps to implement them. Perhaps you know the perfect solution for our test data problems or you can help us automate the creation of ephemeral environments for short-lived feature branches in AWS? Either way, you'll have a big say in the Test Engineering roadmap at iptiQ. Taking initiative is a requirement to be successful.
Your day-to-day activities will include
• Working embedded inside a development team, on features of our insurance platform. You cultivate the quality mentality and accelerate the achievement of shippable quality
• Creating and maintaining test automation (frameworks) for UI, API, and infrastructure tests that are integrated into our development workflow
• Optimizing the software development lifecycle, eliminating bottlenecks in the process anywhere between ideation and production to improve speed, efficiency, ease of development, and the ability to scale business processes
• Fostering a shared understanding between business and team on the requirements of new features
• Monitor the software running in production and identify and implement opportunities to increase observability, testability, and operability
• Sharing your knowledge on test automation and quality with our development teams during the fortnightly Tech Forum
This is what we will look for
• You enjoy a challenge and working in a fast-paced environment, where processes and requirements are not always well defined
• Experience in working with distributed engineering teams, applying modern testing methodologies, tools, and techniques
• You have a consistent track record of delivering test automation frameworks and solutions for microservice architectures in Agile and/or DevOps working environments
• Your software development knowledge is up to date in at least one modern programming language.
• Standout colleague: you collaborate effectively with team members, express technical leadership supporting your views and ideas while keeping open to different opinions, being brave and always contributing to the overall growth of the team
Nice to haves
• Experience working as a T-shaped team member, picking up whatever task comes your way
• Familiarity with Java, Kotlin, Node.js, or Typescript is a plus, as we use those primarily to build and test our platform
• You have experience in coaching teams in creating a quality culture, applying shift-left principles, and applying continuous improvement
• Besides functional testing, you have some experience with non-functional testing of performance, reliability, availability, and security for distributed systems
• You are a continuous learner who stays up-to-date and you can use your knowledge to tackle whatever problem you face. Whether it's containerized workloads with Docker in AWS, git, gradle, npm, service virtualization, API testing, UI testing, E2E testing, CI/CD, or schema-less datastores, you have the answer or are comfortable figuring it out
What we offer
At iptiQ, you'll find a start-up environment, embedded within SwissRe, known for its high-caliber talent. You get the best of both worlds - a fast-paced, exciting environment with a genuine work-life balance and more. You'll contribute to complex, ambitious projects across Europe. Our colleagues are from all over the world - in total there are over 20 nationalities!
Join us on our mission to transform insurance and deepen your SDET skills!
Our recruiting process
After you apply, we explore the mutual fit during a first interview. We'll tell you about iptiQ, the position, and we'll discuss how your experience and ambitions would fit the role. Next, we will go more in-depth on the technical aspects of being a Software Engineer in Test at iptiQ, including a pair programming exercise where you write some automation code with one of our engineers. Finally, there's an interview round focused on cultural fit, during which you get to learn more about your future colleagues.
Note: this is not a remote position and based on location and availability the process may be slightly modified. Please send your CV / Cover Letter in English.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Reference Code: 100282
Job Segment: Underwriter, Insurance